Monday, August 22, 2016

~ THE PRISONER OF SILVERWOOD CASTLE Will Keep You Captive! ~







Returning today I have Marie Treanor with her latest release, THE PRISONER OF SILVERWOOD CASTLE. She's treating us to an excerpt...



Excerpt~

From the corner of this room, a narrower set of stairs led upward. I followed them, coming to yet another door, also of iron, but with a small square hole cut in it and covered by a grill. Since the grill was just above my eye level, I couldn’t see in.

I pushed at the door, but it remained determinedly shut.

“Whose dream is this anyway?” I said aloud. “Open.” I pushed again, harder, but the door was clearly locked. “Damn.”

Inside, something clanked, like metal against stone. I shivered with delight. Clanking chains! This was much better.

“Damn what or whom?” enquired a deep, male voice from within, in perfect English.

A thrill ran through my bones from my toes up. “This door,” I said. “It won’t open.”

The chains, or whatever they were, clanked again.

“Perhaps you could unlock it for me?” I said hopefully.

“Sadly not. I don’t have the key.”

I frowned. “You mean you’re locked inside? Or is there another way out?”

“There’s always a way out.”

“Oh.” I set down my candle, meaning to take off my shoes and stand on top of them to try to see through the grill. “Who are you?”

There was a pause. “Kasimir,” said the voice, as my candle shone on a low stool on the far side of the landing. “Who are you?”

“Guin,” I said, placing the stool by the door and standing on it to peer through the grill. Inside was pitch-dark, so I bent and retrieved my candle.

“Just Guin?” Metal clanked again as I raised my candle to the grill.

A young man in a torn shirt and faded trousers with holes at both knees sat on the edge of a truckle bed, hands raised against the pale light I shone on him. He seemed very large for the tiny room, but otherwise, I couldn’t see much more than a mop of shaggy blonde hair and two big, if slender hands with chains dangling from both wrists. He lowered them slowly to reveal a lean, fine-boned face with glittering blue eyes, lips parted, perhaps in surprise. He was handsome enough to make even my determinedly hard heart beat faster. Dreams could be very pleasant…

On the other hand, manacles bound his wrists, a thick chain running between them and up to a bolt in the wall above him.

“Goodness,” I said, impressed and appalled all at once. “I really did hear clanking chains. You’re a prisoner.”

“Yes. Are you?”

“Lord, no.”

He stood, tugging at the chains so that he could take a step nearer the door. My heart lurched, but the chains pulled him up short. Even in the dim light, his wrists looked red and raw.

“Oh dear,” I said. “I’ll bring you ointment for your wrists.”

He peered at the grill, leaning his head from side to side as if trying to see me better. “You will? Why?”

“They look sore.”

He stepped back and glanced at them. “I suppose they are.” He sounded vaguely surprised. “Are you my new keeper?”
“Your keeper?” The phrase sounded odd; perhaps it was the translation. “No. I’m the duchess’s sister. Why are you in here? What did you do?”

He seemed to think about that. “I don’t know that I did anything.”




Blurb ~


Dead men don't tell tales. They wail them from the top of the tallest tower.


Darke of Night, Book 2


Lady Guinevere (Guin) Harvey would much rather be writing gothic tales of intrigue and adventure than dancing attendance on her sister, the newly married Duchess of Silberwald. Until they arrive at Silberwald Castle, a place of enchanting perfection—and gothic shadows.

Ghostly groans and clanking chains lead Guin through ancient, misshapen passages to one of the castle's many mysteries: a cell where the odd but charming Kasimir is kept chained like an animal. He could be a figment of her vivid dreams, the ghost of a dead, mad prince, or just a political prisoner no one wants to talk about.

Desperate to discover what beast is howling such soul-chilling cries, Guin summons the medium Barbara Darke. But by the time Barbara arrives, Guin can no longer distinguish dream from reality, friend from enemy. Even with all Barbara's unique talents, they have to face new dangers before they finally discover the terrifying truth of Silberwald Castle.

Warning: Gives new meaning to falling madly in love…


Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31136643-the-prisoner-of-silverwood-castle

Book Links ~ 


Amazon Kindle: http://amzn.to/2b90HDz

B&N Nook: http://bit.ly/2bycyhA

Kobo: http://bit.ly/2aUqZGy

iBooks: http://apple.co/2aXX2aE

Google Play: http://bit.ly/2b90xvO


Author Bio ~  

Marie Treanor lives in Scotland with her eccentric husband, three much-too-smart children and a small puppy who rules them all. Having grown bored with city life, she resides these days in a picturesque village by the sea where she is lucky enough to enjoy herself avoiding housework and writing sensual stories of paranormal romance and urban fantasy – with a bit of science fiction and time travel thrown in. 

Marie is the award winning author of over forty sexy paranormal romances – Indie, New York and E-published. Since childhood, she has always written stories, at first secretly and for her own amusement, later with more serious intention to earn a living by writing. After working as a researcher and a librarian, she was lucky enough to have her first romances, GHOST UNLAID and QUEEN'S GAMBIT, immediately accepted by an e-publisher in 2004. Since then, she has published continuously, most notably with NAL, Samhain, Changeling Press, Ellora's Cave and The Wild Rose Press. She now writes full time. 

In 2010, she made her New York publishing debut with BLOOD ON SILK, first of the award winning Awakened by Blood vampire romance trilogy. Reviewers have described her undead anti-hero Saloman as the best vampire in the genre. Most recently, she has been trying her hand at self-publishing, with three new paranormal romance series, Serafina's, The Gifted, and Blood Hunters (a sequel series to Awakened by Blood). 

When not writing, Marie can generally be found among the chaos of her family, or walking the dog on the beach in all weathers. She loves to travel and meet new people. - See more at: http://www.marietreanor.com/about-the-author-marie-treanor/#sthash.ahFX5oNK.dpuf


Author Links ~   




Website: http://www.marietreanor.com/

Newsletter: http://www.marietreanor.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/marietreanor

Facebook: http://bit.ly/29r6oLA

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1722834.Marie_Treanor

Amazon: http://amzn.to/29wCmpY




17 comments:

MJ Schiller said...

Love the excerpt, Marie! Thanks for sending it!

Diane Burton said...

What an interesting story. Love the excerpt. Best wishes, Marie.

Diane Garner said...

So intriguing. Great excerpt!

Alicia Dean said...

LOVE the tag line...the premise and excerpt are awesome!! I always love Marie's writing, and this sounds like a winner for sure. Congrats!!!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Wow...great excerpt. Love the cover too.
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Nightingale said...

Immediately this reminded me of The Man in the Iron Mask, but as I read on I see that it is quite different from that movie with a fascinating plot of its own.

Kara O'Neal said...

That is a GREAT tag line! Loved the excerpt, too! Good luck to you.

Leah St. James said...

Great excerpt. Really enjoyed it!

Susan Coryell said...

Wow! Tension emanates just from that short excerpt! Sounds compelling! Best wishes.

MJ Schiller said...

She definitely captures the feel of a Gothic romance, doesn't she? Thanks for joining us, Diane!

MJ Schiller said...

Yeah. Really makes you wonder what the story is. Thanks for reading and commenting, Diane!

MJ Schiller said...

Yes! That is an awesome tag line! Love it! Thanks for stopping in, Alicia!

MJ Schiller said...

Yes. Very nice cover. Captures the feel. Thanks for popping over, Pam!

MJ Schiller said...

Yes! Me, too! There could be any number of reasons he's imprisoned...
Thanks for joining in the conversation, Linda!

MJ Schiller said...

Agreed! Thanks for coming by, Kara!

MJ Schiller said...

Appreciate you taking the time to visit, Leah!

MJ Schiller said...

I know. I love it when an author captures your attention with just a snippet. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment, Susan!